Saturday, December 1, 2012

Can I work as a U.S Citizen in the Philippines


Can I work as a U.S Citizen in the Philippines?
I have considered the possibility I may move and work in the Philippines. I am a college grad with some business background but currently I am working as a longshoreman in Dutch Harbor Alaska. I bring that up meaning I have education in my background but I am also not afraid to get my hands dirty either. My options are open to anything and if there is a website or some good advice that can point me in the right direction I would be very much grateful ^.^ Take care and thank you.
Immigration - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Jobs for foreigners are extremely scarce, There are special situation jobs like you have mentioned, as well as jobs available for those married to Filipinas or Filipinos, consultants and others on the Link below. But here is the bottom line for most of you: Though business opportunities abound even with little capital, a job, unless it is with a foreign company, is hard to find. If you don't work for a foreign based company, with a few exceptions you need be married to a Filipina to legally work in the Philippines. Work permits are not necessary if you are married to a Filipino citizen. You only need to register with the Department of Labor and Employment.
2 :
For all pratical purposes, no. 20% of the entire population of the Philippines is working outside the Philippines. Another 50% who are still there are living at the poverty level. Opening a business is a ticket to bankruptcy. As a foreigner married to a Filipina you could get the Philippine equivelent of a green card and work. However, you'll find wages that average $5 a day and that's for 10 hours of work.
3 :
Go to www.livinginthephilippines.com As the others have mentioned work for foreigners here is extremely rare. You cannot work on a tourist visa. You would need a working visa or have a spousal visa to be able to work here. With the average wage being $6 a day for a 10 hour day, 6 days a week.