Monday, September 7, 2009

Can I legally do volunteer work in the Philippines with regular tourist visa


Can I legally do volunteer work in the Philippines with regular tourist visa?
If I get normal tourist visa (21 day) when I enter Philippines from the USA, can I legally do volunteer work. I will not get paid or get any compensation for the work. Please provide source if you can. The work will be with various LGUs and NGOs, building or repairing schools and churches.
Philippines - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
No you can not legally even do volunteer work with a regular tourist visa... If you don't do a lot of talking about it and just go ahead and do it, you might get a way with it....most local officials would appreciate it and not say a thing... But remember you are taking a chance that if someone gets upset with you they could turn you in to immigration...... Now with that said, let me say this..."DON'T use the word volunteer", your just here to visit someone and you are "helping out". I really don't think you would have any problem with it, as long as you approach it that way and don't try to make yourself look like you are doing a favor to them... It also depends on where you will be..... Living in Philippines 7 years.
2 :
I don't see any problem with that. Foreigners come and go and do work for civic orgs like Habitat for Hummanity and GK. so that's a big yes! in fact its an act that would get much appreciation
3 :
I Agree with Worf .... You are just here to help out is the best way to say it. You should be fine.
4 :
i have done it about 6 different times. never thought it could be a legal issue. never had any problems. I even did the "visa waiver" thing after my 21 days expired and stayed for 8 months at a time doing vollunteer work the whole time, and had no problems ever.