Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Will US PS3 work in Philippines


Will US PS3 work in Philippines?
I am thinking to buy a PlayStation 3 and bring it back to the Philippines. Based on my readings the problem when I do this is with the blu-ray. I believe there is a thing that you call region locked? Does PS3 region locked as well? I wanted to buy a PS3 here rather than buy in the Philippines - it is much cheaper to buy here in US. Can you tell me more about the pros and cons when buying a PS3 and bringing it back to the Philippines?
PlayStation - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yup. You can set languages and stuff. :) There is no pros or cons, its like buying a ps3 from japan, there is no difference :D.
2 :
The first good news is that ps3 games are region-free. The potentially bad news is that blu-ray video discs are region-coded, except for the really good news that the Philippines and the US are in the same region, region A. I am not so sure about DVD regions. You may be out of luck with those because there are a lot more of them and I'm pretty sure north America has its own exclusive region. The Philippines is NTSC though, I think. Places where the US military has camped out in the past usually are NTSC. Except in Europe. If you get a backward compatible ps3 in the US, it will only work with ntsc U/C (US and Canada) ps2 games and US region dvd's (region 0 if I remember right) but you'll be fine for the ps3 games, and for blu-ray videos, and for using the ps3 on a standard def Filipino TV.