Thursday, October 14, 2010

Will my sat nav work in Philippines


Will my sat nav work in Philippines?
I brought my garmin sat nav unit from Australia to The Philippines (visaya region) and it's not finding any satellites. Will it work here? I don't have any Phils maps, but I was thinking it would still find some satellites and I could just add locations? Thanks
Philippines - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
There is no reason for it not to work. Older models sometimes have problems finding satelites unless you tell them roughly where you are. The unit may need to be initialised with an approximate location. Also, need to make sure that you have a clear view of a lot of the sky. Older models also do not work well in urban surroundings.
2 :
You didn't say what country your in, but most likely, you will have to buy the maps from Garmin, and download them onto your unit. Also, you may have to get a memory card to load them on.
3 :
If you can live with plus or minus 3 miles. go for it. There simply is not enough satelite footprints here in the Philippines.
4 :
I'm not sure if its just my phone, but my phones map is about half a kilometer off sometimes. Still, electronic street maps are useful with easy search. You just have to know where you are on it and you can find that out the old fashioned way. By asking!